my home was sold illegally..what can i do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my home was sold illegally..what can i do?

refied my home 8 years forged paperwork and turned it into a sale to his father in is in jail and father in law let home go to sherrif wants to remove me

Asked on March 2, 2017 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

File a lawsuit vs. the broker and his father-in-law IMMEDIATELY, suing them for the theft. Sue them not only for monetary "damages" (e.g. your costs and losses) but also for a court order voiding (undoing the sale) on the grounds of fraud, illegality, and your lack of consent to it. File the action on an "emergent" (think: "urgent" or "emergency") basis by a verified complaint and when you do so, also apply for an "Order to Show Cause" stopping your removal until the action is determined. Also seek an order undoing the foreclosure. You will need to name the foreclosing lender (or county, if this is a property tax-based foreclosure) as well in the lawsuit. 
The above is not guaranteed to work (nothing in law ever is), but gives you a chance to undo what happened and stop the lock-out. (And in the lawsuit, ask for the FULL value of your house in monetary damages, too, from the broker and his father-in-law; maybe you can at least get monetary compensation). 
The above is procedurally complex: retain an attorney to help you. And do it, as stated, immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption