What to do if my HOA is currently threatening to place a lien on my house for dues owed for the past 6 years?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my HOA is currently threatening to place a lien on my house for dues owed for the past 6 years?

I know I’ve paid all but the current year’s fees, but have no receipts and they claim they have no record of receiving them. Until now, I haven’t received any notice of owing these past due amounts. I imagine I will end up re-paying the dues (and keeping better receipts). In an effort to reduce the amount I’m paying, what is the statute of limitations on collecting this money? Surely it can’t be 6 years. Additionally, I’ve searched, but cannot find anything on the internet defining my state’s HOA laws (other than condo, I have a house), are there any?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations for money owed either through a breach of a written contract or a common counts cause of action is generally four (4) years from when the breach occurred.

With respect to monies that you paid presumably by check for HOA dues, I would contact your bank and ask for copies of the past checks over the years for you to produce to the HOA showing payment. As to amounts owed, I would try and work a payment plan in writing with the HOA to try and resolve the dispute.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption