What can I do if my health insurance has denied a prescription for a diabetes drug that my endocrinologist prescribed for me?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my health insurance has denied a prescription for a diabetes drug that my endocrinologist prescribed for me?

The cash price is prohibitively expensive. My doctor appealed and gave them numbers and lab work results showing the great results of the sample period that I had tried but still was denied. Do I have any further recourse? This is a major quality of life issue for me.

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Insurance Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry.  It is unfortunate that you treatment comes under such close scrutiny by some one that has never met you: the insurance company doctor that decides if the treatment is covered. Coverage can be disclaimed for a host of reasons but it is their job to determine if it is "medically necessary" for coverage.  Treatments that are experimental or really new do not generally have a chance to be covered under your plan.  And if the drug was not specifically targeted toward your illness (sometimes it is found that a drug issued for one ailment really helps another) can also be an issue.  Was what your doctor did considered a formal appeal of the denial?  That is always the first step. In many states you may also be entitled to an independent State Board Review of the determination.  Contact your State Department of Insurance and find out the procedures.  It may even be beneficial to you to consult with an attorney in the field to determine what your state allows.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption