What can be done if my grandson fell in his classroom?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if my grandson fell in his classroom?

Gym was held inside because of weather. There was a running exercise and he fell, broke his collarbone and had to have surgery. There is no insurance and the father is unemployed does the school have any liability.

Asked on October 19, 2014 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The school would only be liable if it was negligent, or unreasonably careless, in some way; that's because for liability to attach in a situation like this, there must fault, or something which the school did wrong. While you may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney to discuss the matter in more detail, from what you write, the school would not seem to be liable: there is nothing negligent or unreasonably careless about having gym indoors (especially when it rains) or having students run during gym. People sometimes fallwhile running without it being anyone else's fault, and you do not indicate that the school caused him to fall in some way. The school does not seem to have been at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption