My grandson age 21 took off with my vehicle March 18 and still has not returned.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My grandson age 21 took off with my vehicle March 18 and still has not returned.

I bought a vehicle for my grandson to use. He was staying with me and had tied
up my vehicle. He was to use it for work, school, pay the payments and keep up
insurance. In 3 months when he establish work and could get a loan I would put
it in his name. He never went to school and failed to put an application, is
not making payments or keeping insurance up. The police say because I bought it
for his use he can do whatever he wants with it. I am afraid because I feel he
is doing drugs or if he gets in an accident. He is not working and living from
friend to friend and his step father said he is probably living in the vehicle.
So I have no address for him. I do know he is somewhere in Kenosha, Wisc..
Kenosha police, attorney say consent of use has expired and if it is in my
name, it is still my vehicle and it is considered theft. S.C. police say I
can’t do anything about it. I can’t file a civil suit with no address. If you
can’t help me, please tell me who can. Where do you suggest I go for help? Who
made the law and why is it different state to state. The vehicle has temporary
tags on it which expired May 2, however, he could have stolen tags. I have the
tags with me.

Asked on June 12, 2019 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The law is different state by state because this is state law: each state makes its own law. Also, even when the law is similar from one state to the next, how each police dept. interprets it may vary, as will how they evaluate a given situation (e.g. whether it is civil or criminal). If the WI police will treat this as a theft and he is in WI, then report it as a theft to them; then if you have theft insurance, put in a claim to your insurer to receive compensation and let the insurer deal with this.
If you. don't have theft insurance, other than asking the WI police to treat this as theft, you can't do anything, as you indicate, without an address for a civil lawsuit. Lawyers are often better about finding addresses than non-attorneys; possibly if you hire a WI attorney to help, he or she will be able to locate, so you can sue, him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption