If my late grandmother’s home is held in a living Trust but we can’t find a copy of the trust, how do we sell the home?

UPDATED: Jan 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my late grandmother’s home is held in a living Trust but we can’t find a copy of the trust, how do we sell the home?

The house is properly deeded to the trust. We have a Will which makes reference to the Trust. Is it possible to sell the house right away or does the house then have to be included in the probate proceedings?

Asked on January 7, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Janet Brewer / Law Office of Janet L Brewer

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a problem.  The house does not need to go through probate if title to the house is in the name of the trust.  But if you can't find the trust, how are you going to know who the beneficiaries of the trust are?

You may have to petition the court for instructions on what to do.  

Perhaps the deed to the house names the lawyer who prepared the trust.  If so, you can write to him/her and find out if s/he has a copy of it.  Then you can go through a court procedure to "prove" the trust.

Good luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption