What can I do to get a copy of a Will in which I am a named beneficiary?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get a copy of a Will in which I am a named beneficiary?

My grandmother passed away last month leaving me and her daughters in her Will. My Aunt Shelly is power of attorney/executor and she’s telling me that she’s trying to give me $200 a month, telling me, “Probably for the rest of your life, because there’s over $40,000 there for you”. She also says, “I have strict instructions from your grandmother not to give you a large amount”. I haven’t seen the Will and she won’t let me see it. She won’t provide the lawyer’s name/phone number who handled it all. I have a feeling something shady is going on here. Maybe she’s just giving me $200 a month out of her own pocket, to shut me up so she can keep my 40k? What should I do? I want what I was left.

Asked on December 17, 2015 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the Will has not been probated yet, then in that event anyone who is an immediate family member of the deceased (whether or not they are listed in the Will) is legally entitled to see a copy of it; The same is true for anyone who is listed in the Will as a beneficiary (whether or not they are a family member). This is because any of the foregoing people are considered to be an  "interested party". If the Will has already been probated, then anyone is entitled to a copy since it now a matter of public record.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption