If my grandmother passed away but did not leave a Will and owned a modular home on rented land, what are our responsibilities?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother passed away but did not leave a Will and owned a modular home on rented land, what are our responsibilities?

The trailer park owner indicated that he would buy the trailer if we can produce a title. Given my mother’s limited income she cannot afford to maintain a trailer. If she does sell the trailer, will she be held liable for any past bills that pop up in my grandmother’s name? Given that she was a hoarder, we have been cleaning out the trailer as best as we can. We are just not sure how to proceed. The landlord of the park seems willing to work with us.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You have to determine if the trailer is considered real property or personal property.  If you determinet that it is personal property then determine the value and see if you can file a small estate proceeding to allow you to transfer the title to the landlord.  If you do not have a title then you can as the personal representative of the estate apply for a new title.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption