What can I do to ensure that I’ll be left my grandmother’s house since she doesn’t have a Will?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to ensure that I’ll be left my grandmother’s house since she doesn’t have a Will?

My grandmother has moved and has been letting me live in her house for years now. She is going to leave it to me when she passes away but I don’t think she has an actual Will made up and I’m scared she may pass soon. Such as get a letter notarized or something?

Asked on November 11, 2015 under Estate Planning, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If your grandmother does not have a Will, to be certain that you will receive the house, she can sign a quitclaim deed and transfer the house to you now.
A quitclaim deed releases your grandmother's entire right, title and interest in the property.  The quitclaim deed must be signed in the presence of a notary.  The quitclaim deed becomes effective upon recording (filing) it with the County Recorder's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption