If my grandmother financed a truck for me and recently died, ihow do I continue to pay for it?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother financed a truck for me and recently died, ihow do I continue to pay for it?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In general, the finance company has the right to demand return of the truck or full payment on the loan after your grandmother's death.  In addition, if an estate is opened on her behalf, the personal representative must notify the finance company about her death.

If you can possibly transfer the loan into your name, I suggest you contact the finance company, explain the situation, and get the loan transferred.  The finance company probably does not want the truck back, but if your credit is truly poor, they may demand it.  If you have been paying the loan and no one opens an estate for your grandmother, the finance company may not learn that she has died.  Of course, if the truck is in your grandmother's name, you will have to have it transferred into your name. 

I suggest you consult an estate lawyer in your area for advice.  Achieving peace of mind is well worth the cost of a consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption