My grandma is giving me her house shes still living but in a nursing home. Where do i start.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My grandma is giving me her house shes still living but in a nursing home. Where do i start.

My grandma is in a home she wants
to sign her house over to me in
weatmoreland co pa. I have no idea
where to even start. Want to know
what forms papers an fees ill need
to pay an how to get things ready.
Never had to do anything like this
before so i need help on what to

Asked on April 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A quitclaim deed will release your grandma's entire right, title, and interest in the property to you.  The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  You could have a mobile notary come to the nursing home.  After the quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary, it becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's office).  
The fees should be nominal for the notary and for filing the quitclaim deed with the County Recorder.
You can find sample quitclaim deed language online or at the law library.  Ask the law librarian to help you locate it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption