What can happen after my grandfather passes if he has been living with his girlfriend for several years?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can happen after my grandfather passes if he has been living with his girlfriend for several years?

He is developing alzheimers but is still in decent health. He cut my mother out of the will and currently my brother, my aunt and myself, are set up to each receive a part of an extremely valuable property. We recently found out that his girlfriend is planning to somehow take us to court when he dies. She believes that she can convince a judge that she should be paid $10,000 a year from us, from the worth of the property and his will, for every year that she has been with and taken care of him. Is there any way that she could accomplish this or something similar to this?

Asked on December 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you and your relatives consult with a Wills and trust attorney now to discuss tactics regarding the girlfriend when your grandfather passes. The only way that the girlfriend can get any say in the grandfather's estate is if he leaves her a gift in a Will or trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption