How do I get the inheritance my grandfather left for me?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get the inheritance my grandfather left for me?

My grandfather left me an inheritance in his Will. I was supposed to inherit land and property, but the executrix of the Will sold those things. There was a provision in the will that I had to be 30 years old before I could access any of it without going through the executrix. I’m 30 now but the executrix hasn’t taken my calls and I haven’t been able to reach her for several years now.

Asked on January 30, 2014 under Estate Planning, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the executrix for conversion which is theft in a civil case.  Damages (the monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for conversion) would be recovery of the proceeds from the sale by the executrix of the land and property you were to inherit.  You can trace the proceeds to the funds wrongfully acquired by the executrix from the sale of the land and property.  For example, if the executrix has those funds in her bank account or spent the proceeds on a car other items, you would trace the proceeds to those items and assert your claim to those items.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption