If my grandmother has a medical condition showing that she isn’t of a able mind, can her Will be manipulated?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my grandmother has a medical condition showing that she isn’t of a able mind, can her Will be manipulated?

My grandfather just passed away and left a Will to be separated 3 equal ways between his 3 daughters. My grandmother is alive but has dementia. My mother and I feel as though my aunt is trying to sway my grandmother to exclude my mother from the Will.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I think that I need to make some things clear here because I am a little confused about the matter.  I think that your Grandfather's Will left everything to your grandmother and then after she passes it is to be divided equally amongst the three daughters, correct? And now your Aunt is trying to manipulate your grand mother to exclude your Mother.  If your grandmother has dementia then it is said that she is not "of sound mind" and if your aunt had her execute a new Will to exclude your Mother you could have the Will set aside for undue influence or a whole host of other reasons.  Now, if the situation is as you say I would not wait for that to happen.  I would tel your Mother to go and become appointed as the conservator or guardian of your Grandmother and her estate to protect her from anyone trying to manipulate her.  Also, take her to the doctor and have her the diagnoses of dementia documented.  Gt help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption