What are my rights to bartered equipment?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to bartered equipment?

My good friend and I were exchanging items for services, as I own a recording studio and he purchased some equipment to secure some time in the studio with me. He purchased this, with his father’s company credit card, for which he also works and has his own card with his name on it. This was all with the consent of his father, months ago. Now his father is flipping out and saying he is going to show up with the police and take the equipment. Again, it was all bought months ago, and given to me. Can he really show up with the police and take it?

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Business Law, New York


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Demonstrating the terms of your agreement may be the challenge if you do not have it in writing.  However, you certainly have an argumentt that the equipment belongs to you.  Chances are that police would consider the mattter a  civil case to be handled by filing a lawsuit

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption