What to do if my girlfriend works at a donut chain that does not give her a 30 minute break?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my girlfriend works at a donut chain that does not give her a 30 minute break?

She only gets a 15 minute break for working an 8 hour shift. Sometimes she doesn’t even get the 15 minute break. Isn’t this slave labor? Is there any legal action to take against this? I need to help her.

Asked on August 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In NY, employees who work a shift of more than 6 hours starting before 11 am and continue until 2 pm must have an uninterrupted lunch period of at least a half an hour between 11 am and 2 pm. For specific meal period requirements, go to 
Note Meal periods do not count as work time, therefore employers do not need to pay for that time. Also, employers do not have to provide other breaks, such as for "rest periods" or "coffee breaks". However, if an employer permits a break of up to 20 minutes, then it should be paid as work time.
If after reviewing the above, your girlfriend feels that she is being denied breaks as per state law, then she can file a complaint wiith the NY Department of Labor and/or consult directly with an employment law attorney as to her rights/remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption