What to do if my girlfriend andI broke up soI moved out and now she is claiming thatI tookher things?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my girlfriend andI broke up soI moved out and now she is claiming thatI tookher things?

My girlfriend had me move out so I did. Months later she asked me to move back and I found out she was cheating so I packed up my belongings and left. he called the police and said I stole her tool box and tools; these were my tools and the box she bought me for X-mas. Also, an X-box system that was bought for the family. I now have been charged with receiving stolen property.

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To be convicted, it will have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that you took her belongings. Any evidence or testimony you have that you did *not* steal these things--for example, receipts showing that you bought and owned the tools; an email or card or note from her that she was giving you the box as a gift--will be helpful to your case. You should collect and organize any evidence, and think about who could testify on your behalf.

In the meantime, you should hire a criminal defense attorney, and do NOT say anything to the authorities about the case until speaking with your lawyer. Remember: you have a right to not talk to the authorities, often called the right to silence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption