If my late friend made me the executor of her estate, what bills, if any, must I pay?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my late friend made me the executor of her estate, what bills, if any, must I pay?

She owned no property, only had total assets of $2000 but a lot of debt.

Asked on January 25, 2014 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It may not be enough to probate and at this point, the debtors would not not be able to attach any property. Go to your local court house and look for the information (usually brochures) on probating and minimum assets needed for such. If she is under the amount to probate, you may wish to contact creditors and inform them of her death, provide the death certificate copy and a copy of your official title of executor. Explain she had no assets and I believe the credtors will simply charge off the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption