What to do if a friend was visiting in my home and her behavior provoked my dog and her dog to fight and she got bitten?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a friend was visiting in my home and her behavior provoked my dog and her dog to fight and she got bitten?

She got in between them causing her to get bitten. She incurred hospital fees from this and is harassing me to turn this incident in on my homeowner’s insurance. Even as far as obtaining legal representation. I feel she provoked the incident and is seeking money. What are my options?

Asked on June 26, 2015 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you are liable for your friend's injury because you are the owner of the property where the injury occurred.  Your liability includes the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills, and wage loss.

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your homeowner's insurance carrier.  Your homeowner's insurance should be informed that your friend provoked this incident.  

Most likely, the case will be settled with the homeowner's insurance.  If it is not settled and your friend files a lawsuit against you, you should assert the defenses of contributory negligence (your friend contributed to her own injury) and assumption of the risk (your friend recognized and understood the danger of being bitten by getting between the dogs she had provoked and voluntarily chose to encounter that danger and the risk of injury).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption