What to do if my friend was stopped 5 months ago because he was supposedly swerving in his car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my friend was stopped 5 months ago because he was supposedly swerving in his car?

The officers had him step out the vehicle and do the field sobriety test over and over and over again. They cuffed him and took him to the station all while not reading him his rights. At the station they had him use the breathalyzer which he says was a little less than.08. He just received a letter today to attend court a week from today. What should he do?

Asked on November 25, 2015 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Immediately contact a private criminal defense attorney. Get the lawyer to get the police report, and the camera footage. It doesn't matter if he blew less than .08. If he was not sober per se and it affected his driving, then the police had probable cause to arrest him.  This is all conjecture at this point, however. He needs to have the lawyer review all records. If he wasn't read his Miranda rights, then that may be sufficient to throw out any charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption