What to fo if y friend was recently hired by a large company and on his offer letter, the company mistakenly put 54k per year rather then 30k per year?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to fo if y friend was recently hired by a large company and on his offer letter, the company mistakenly put 54k per year rather then 30k per year?

A month (and 2 paychecks later), they realized their mistake and notified him. Does he have any recourse to avoid taking a major pay cut?

Asked on December 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He would only have recourse if--

1) There is an actual written employment contract, not merely an offer letter; an offer letter, by itself, is not enforceable. To form a contract, it must limit the grounds under which he could be terminated in a meaningful way, such as by guarantying his employment for a set time (e.g. a year) or restricting the reasons for which he could be fired. If there are no restrictions on termination, he could be terminated at any time--which means that alternately, anything short of termination, like changing his pay, could be done at any time.

2) Alteranately, if ALL of the following criteria are met, the promise contained in the offer letter may be enforceable despite the lack of written contract:

a) The offer of $54k was made prior to his accepting the job, and

b) Formed a material (important) reason why took the job, and

c) The promise was reasonable--that is, based on his experience, credentials, industry, etc., it was reasonable to think he might get $54k, and

d) To take the he had to do something significant to his detriment, like give up an existing job (which paid more than $30k) or relocate, and

e) At the time the company made the $54k offer, it knew he would have to do that thing to his detriment--and made the offer nonetheless.

If all of these criteria were met, the promise may be enforceable under the theory of "promissory estoppel," sometimes called "detrimental reliance."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption