If my friend wants me to inherit his house if I survive him but hasn’t updated his Will to include that, what should be done?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend wants me to inherit his house if I survive him but hasn’t updated his Will to include that, what should be done?

He has verbally told his executor as well as a local lawyer (who represented his mother before she passed away, not the one who did his Will many years ago in another state), and others. He says that my interests are adequately protected in AZ but I have my doubts. If my doubts are justified, is a written statement any improvement? If one assumes his executor is perfectly trustworthy, is it true that the process could go smoothly in spite of its informality? Would it cause delay in the process?

Asked on November 19, 2011 under Estate Planning, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You won't have any claim to inherit the house unless it is in writing and is included in the Will.  Oral representations by your friend and others won't be acceptable in a Probate court.  The court looks at evidence of the validity of the Will and in determining what is to be inherited by beneficiaries.  Depending on the memory of the various people who were told (with nothing in writing) that you are to inherit the house is unacceptable.  You can't depend on their faulty memories possibly many years from now when you are to inherit the house or even if those people will still be around at that time.

Your friend should amend the Will to include you as a beneficiary designated to inherit the house.  An amendment to the Will is a codocil.  The codocil can be included referencing this amendment to the Will and can be signed and acknowledged by your friend in the presence of witnesses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption