What to do if my friend stole a bicycle and later asked me for assistance in selling it but I had no knowledge of it being stolen?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my friend stole a bicycle and later asked me for assistance in selling it but I had no knowledge of it being stolen?

When my fiancé and I set up the sale it was a sting. The police arrested us and questioned us. I think that they already had the charges made up because my friend admitted to the theft and told them that I had nothing to do with it (no knowledge, etc.). However, they still charged me with a F5 theft but him with burgalry and theft. Will I most likely be dismissed because he admitted complete fault?

Asked on February 8, 2014 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The unauthorized taking and removal of the Personal Property of another by an individual who intends to permanently deprive the owner of it; a crime against the right of possession.

Larceny generally refers to nonviolent theft. It is a common-law term developed by the royal courts of England in the seventeenth century. In the United States, most jurisdictions have eliminated the crime of Larceny from statutory codes, in favor of a general theft statute.

You are in a serious situaiton. I suggest that you immediately consult with an experineced criminal defense attorney in your locality. One can be found on attorneypages.com. based upon what you have written about, i cannot advise you whether or not the charge against you will be dismissed or not. Only your attorney can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption