My friend ordered marijuana through the dark web should he be worried?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My friend ordered marijuana through the dark web should he be worried?

He used his real name and address, used his school laptop and his school email to create a bitcoin account to order the marijuana. It also came through USPS. Should his parents get an attorney now in case?

Asked on February 20, 2019 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There's no need to get a lawyer in advance, since the lawyer can't do anything unless and until charges are filed or some other action taken
That said, yes--he should be worried. Not just about the fact that this transaction may have been monitoried (if the police were investigating this site), or that that if the authorities go after this supplier, they may get his transaction records, but also about the fact that by handing an anonymous stranger records of a criminal transaction, he has provided someone else (the supplier/dealer) blackmail about him. If charges are filed and anyone tries to "shake him down" or contact him about this, he should then hire an attorney IMMEDIATELY.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption