My friend broke my jeep. What can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My friend broke my jeep. What can I do?

So I let my friend use my jeep to go back and
forth to work, before I left I told him to
not go offroading in it or tear it up and it
better be in the same condition I gave it to
him when I got back from leave from the
military, when I got back I found it sitting
on base, with the engine and transmission
blown. He says he took it to a shop and there
the ones who messed it up but cannot tell me
the name of the shop that messed it up. I
talked to his friends and they all told me he
took it mudding the day I left and sank it in
a mud hole and sacked water into the engine.
I made him tow it to a jeep dealership and
they told me it would be 10,000 to fix it as
long as nothing else is messed up. He agreed
to fix the jeep but when he found out that it
was going to be 10k to fix it, now he tells
me he can’t fix it. It’s my only vehicle and
I’ve only had it for 2 months and and making
Payments on it. I have at least 10 people
willing to sign an affidavit saying he broke
it. What should I do? Can I make him pay for

Asked on September 14, 2016 under Accident Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him for the cost to repair the vehicle. When someone damages another's property through negligence (carelessness) or a deliberate wrongful act, they are liable (or financially responsible) for the cost of the damage they did. In the lawsuit, you'd need your witnesses to testify in court (they can't provide affidavits; they have to testify under the rules of evidence) as to what he did and how he damaged it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption