If my friend and I got into a car accident, do I have to get checked out by a doctor?

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend and I got into a car accident, do I have to get checked out by a doctor?

She was the one that was driving and I was the passenger. Another car crashed us. My friend got arrested for one day; they believe that her B.A.C was 0.08 and we are still waiting for her results. Her mom got a lawyer and the lawyer wants me to go to the hospital to get checked up but I don’t want to. Am I allowed to refuse even though I am a witness. I don’t want to go through that process.

Asked on April 15, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although you can refuse to go to the hospital, it would be advisable for you to go and be checked because if you were injured in the accident, you will receive compensation for your injury.  Sometimes the injury doesn't show up immediately.

If you were injured, you will receive compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, and if applicable, compensation for wage loss.

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills and is based on the medical reports which document the nature and extent of your injury.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement. 

If you don't receive medical treatment, you won't receive any compensation because there won't be any documentation of your injury to support a personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption