If my former employer is accusing me of theft, can itgarnish my wages?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my former employer is accusing me of theft, can itgarnish my wages?

At my old company, I was doing the payroll. However I am not an accountant so I accidentally paid myself twice a couple of times. One in check, then direct deposit. My employer owed me money anyway so I didn’t say anything. He deducted the amounts from my paychecks and now that I no longer work there, it wants to come back and say I stole. Can it do that? Itowes me over $100,000 in overtime and also refused to give my final check saying that I owed it still. Can my final paycheck be refused on these grounds?

Asked on April 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Several different issues:

1) Can an employer withhold a paycheck or garnish wages from a paycheck, without either a court order or an agreement w/the employee to that effect? No.

2) Must a company pay overtime for working more than 40 hours in a week, IF you are not exempt from overtime (go to the federal Dept. of Labor website to see the different catetories of exemption; for you, the most likely ones would be the administrative exemption, or if you managed other staff, the executive exemption)--yes; you have to paid overtime if you meet the qualificatios.

3) If the company owes you money, can you take it out yourself, such as by overpaying yourself--no. Very emphatically no, in fact; doing so is theft, and it's a crime as well as giving rise to grounds for a lawsuit.

4) Can the company sue to get back any overpayment or other money you took? Yes, they could do this if they wanted, even if they owe you money for an unrelated reason (e.g. overtime).

With all these different issues, you should consult with an attorney to see what your potential liabil[tiy is (for the money you took), as well as your potential recourse or recovery, such as for unpaid wages or overtime.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption