What are my rights if I was wrongfully terminated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was wrongfully terminated?

My former employer involuntarily terminated me for something that was out of my control. They also provided false and defamatory statements in my employee file. Recently, I won my unemployment appeal due to my former employer’s testimony. It was determined as fact by the adjudicator that I did not violate any policy as stated previously by the employer, and that I followed all known policies and procedures in the cashing of the check(s) in question. It was also determined as fact that in no way could I have been held liable for any losses as previously stated by the employer. I want to sue for defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and I want to receive punitive damages.

Asked on November 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) Unless you had a written employment contract and were fired in violation of the contract, the termination was legal: without a contract, you would have been an employee at will and could be fired at any time, for any reason, even frankly stupid, unfair, or untrue ones. It may not have been a "for cause" termination, which is why you can get UI, but a not-for-cause termination is still legal if there is no contract.
2) You can sue for defamation if they are making untrue factual statements to 3rd parties, like prospective employers. Note that opinions, however, even if negative, are not defamation: saying, for example, that you were a "bad employee" is an opinion, and not something you can sue over. You could sue, however, if they say something factually untrue, like "John/Jane Doe  violated company policy about cashing checks" when you did not do that thing. Note that just having an untrue statement in your file is not something you can sue over: you can only sue over untrue statements made to other people.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption