How do i make m former boss pay me for my last month’s wages if I was working under the table?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i make m former boss pay me for my last month’s wages if I was working under the table?

Can I get the labor department involved even though I was working illegally? It was a 9-5 job and I was working at her place of business. We had a verbal agreement that I would finish work 2 months ago, when I was moving out of state. Our agreement was that any unfinished projects could be completed after I moved. Later on she went back on her word and insisted I finish extra projects that she didn’t initially ask me to do before I left. So I quit. Now she won’t pay me because she believes I was working under a contract even though we never had one and she had been paying by the hour.

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you were working for pay under the circumstances that you have written about and have not been paid for services performed, I suggest that you do the following:

1. write your former employer seeking payment for services rendered by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

2. if the due date comes and goes, your options are to make a complaint against the employer with the local labor department and/or file a small claims action against the former employer.

Whether or not you were working under the table makes no difference with respect to the matter that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption