Should I plead guilty or not guilty to a first offense theft charge?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I plead guilty or not guilty to a first offense theft charge?

I am scheduled to go to court in a couple of weeks regarding an issue with my previous employer. I am accused of stealing a frozen bag of chicken breast (price $5.00). I did not intentionally steal the bag. I thought that I had rung it throw the cash registerbut on the store’s camera it looks like I intentionally stole it. What should I do?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Thank you for the inquiry.
A theft offense can be very serious.  While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine.  The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed. 
Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution.  A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain period of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.  
We can assist you in making sure that your record is not affected. 
For a FREE consultation call 612.240.8005.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption