What to do if my fiancee sold a car to his friend but before he could get his name off the title the friend had an accident?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my fiancee sold a car to his friend but before he could get his name off the title the friend had an accident?

Now the other person that was in the accident, has an insurer that is trying to sue my fiancée.

Asked on September 17, 2013 under Accident Law, California


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. The answer will be dependent upon the governing state laws. The person in need of legal counsel should seek an attorney licensed in the state of the incident who practices in the area of insurance law. If a lawsuit has been served, the person involved needs attorney help immediately as there are rigid time deadlines involved. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily




Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your fiancee actually completed the sale of the car, he would have signed the title over to the friend.  So even if the car was still registered to your fiance, that does not make him legally responsible if the new owner gets in an accident with the car.  If the victim's insurance company's lawyer sues your fiance, a good attorney (for either your fiance or his insurance company) should be able to quickly get it thrown out on a motion to dismiss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption