What to do if my fiance received a bill from a collection agency for a tool that was rented for an old employer but never returned?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my fiance received a bill from a collection agency for a tool that was rented for an old employer but never returned?

I am writing on behalf of a bill that my fiance received in the amount of $1818.22. This was regarding a tool that he rented for a company that is no longer his employer. When he was discharged from the company a co-worker was sent to his residence to confiscate the company vehicle without consent and knowledge. The rental tool was inside the vehicle. When he contacted the company about the tool they verbally stated they would turn it in to the rental company. The company never returned the tool and now he’s stuck with the bill. Is this legal?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your fiance' has received a bill for a work related matter where he was simply an employee, he needs to write the third party creditor as well as his former employer a letter about the situation and direct that each of them correspond with the other to get the issue resolved.

He needs to keep a copy of the letter sent for future need and reference. From what you have written, your fiance' is not legally responsible for his employer's bill for the lost tool. Now, that does not prevent a possible small claims court action against him by the third party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption