If my fiance lives in another country and we want to get married in the US, what documents will he need for a marriage license?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my fiance lives in another country and we want to get married in the US, what documents will he need for a marriage license?

Also, does he need to be in the state for any certain amount of time before we are married? He’s currently in England; I’m in NC.

Asked on November 19, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First of all congratulations on your engagement.  Now, I am a little unsure how to guide you here because I a unsure if your fiance is an American Citizen.  And I think that he may not be, correct?  Then I think what you need to do is to apply for a fiance visa to allow him to come here to get married.  Next you have to check the rules in North Carolina regarding the purchase of a marriage license.  Some states allow you to obtain one at the least 3 days before the wedding and at the most maybe 30 days.  But it really depends.  As for what documents he will need to obtain the license the marriage bureau in North Carolina will be able to tell you.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption