If my fiance is a co-signer on her car loan but her mother is the primary and is threatening to take car, can she?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my fiance is a co-signer on her car loan but her mother is the primary and is threatening to take car, can she?

My fiance is current on the payments.

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your fiance's mother could possibly take your fiance's vehicle, but whether or not she is legally entitled to is another matter. First, in whose name is registered title to in concerning the vehicle? If it is soley in your fiance's name, then the mother absent a written agreement to the contrary has no legal right to take posession of the vehicle.

As long as the loan is current, I see no basis for anyone having a basis to try and take possession of the vehicle from your fiance. Just because someone co-signs a loan for someone, that does not mean that the co-signer has an interest in the security for the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption