What to do if my fiance was gifted 2 motorcycles from her dying uncle which were picked up but he passed before any paperwork was done?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my fiance was gifted 2 motorcycles from her dying uncle which were picked up but he passed before any paperwork was done?

Her uncle’s live-in girlfriend now claims that his passing automatically makes the bikes hers. Does she have any right to the bikes. There is no Will and my fiance had power if attorney up to his death.

Asked on June 25, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's a matter of proving the facts: IF your finance can prove that her uncle gifted them to  her prior to death, she can keep them, since people can dispose of their assets (gift, sell, barter, trade, etc.) while they are still alive and mentally competent. It may, however, be very difficult to prove that this is what happened. If your fiance gifted them to herself using the POA, that could be problematic, since while the POA might have given her the authority to make gifts of his assets (check the terms of the POA to see if it did), the attorney-in-fact (person given authority by the POA) had a legal obligation to do so for the grantor's (the uncle's) benefit, not her own; gifting to herself would be very irregular and likely could be successfully challanged as a violation of the duty she owed her uncle. In short, it may be difficult to sustain the gifts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption