My father was killed in a car accident where do I go from here? He was the passenger of the vehicle involved

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father was killed in a car accident where do I go from here? He was the passenger of the vehicle involved

My father was in a deadly
car crash he was the
passenger and the driver
was injured. Is my father
in titled to compensation

Asked on May 2, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

IF there was someone at fault in causing the accident--that is, driving carelessly or recklessly, whether that person was the driver of his car, or the driver of another vehicle which hit them--then his spouse (if he is married) or the personal representative (executor or administrator) of his estate can sue the at fault person for wrongful death. If that person has income or assets to pay a judgment against him or her, or has a meaningul amount of insurance, monetary compensation can be recovered. If you believe someone was at fault and want to explore this option, a good idea is to meet with a personal injury attorney to discuss the case; many such lawyers provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case, and you can confirm this before you make the appointment.
If no one was at fault--e.g. it was just incredibly bad weather conditions; a tire blew out; someone had through no fault of their own a seizure, causing the accident; etc.--then there is no lawsuit; liability, or being financially liable for an accident, is based on being at fault. No fault, no liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption