If my father was in an accident 8 months ago and had no insurance, can he lose his home since he’s now being sued?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father was in an accident 8 months ago and had no insurance, can he lose his home since he’s now being sued?

He has a subrogation claim filed against him for $15,000.

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, he would only be liable (financially responsible) if he was at fault in the accident--that is, if he caused it either through negligence (unreasonable carelessness) or intentionally. If he believes he was not at fault and has evidence to that effect (e.g. a police report; police officer and his own testimony; other witnesses), he may be able to defend himself effectively in court.

If was at fault and the insurer suing him wins, they will obtain a judgment against him. If the does not pay it at that time, the insurer may try to garnish wages; to take money out of his bank account(s) (called levying or executing on an account); to have some of his property (such as car) seized and sold (also called execution); and/or to put a lien on any real property of his. That last option would potentially lead, in some circumstances, to his losing his home, so if he loses in court and does not pay, it is possible that he could ultimately lose his house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption