What to do if a pharmacy gave my father another person’s medication and it made him sick?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a pharmacy gave my father another person’s medication and it made him sick?

He stopped taking the medication because it was making him sick. I looked into it and realized it wasn’t his.Is there anything that could be done?

Asked on January 3, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Illinois


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The pharmacy was clearly negligent in giving your father the wrong medication.  Whether it is worth his while to pursue a claim depends on how seriously he was injured.  If he suffered only a short-term "sickness" that has fully resolved, it may not be worth pursuing because the costs of bringing a claim may outweigh the recovery.  If he suffered a permanent injury, it is definitely worth considering.

I suggest you call a couple malpractice attorneys in your area for advice.  Do NOT throw away the prescription bottle.  It is very important that you keep this evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption