What to do if my father recently died but shortly before told me that he had a Will, however there is no indication that his wife has probated it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father recently died but shortly before told me that he had a Will, however there is no indication that his wife has probated it?

My siblings and I have no idea who he named as the executor or what the distribution under the will may be. We simply want to ensure that his desire for his estate is carried out. What do we need to do?

Asked on September 11, 2015 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Have you spoken to his wife about the will? What does she say? If she denies that there is a will, unless you have some independent "leads" to pursue--
for example, do you know who his attorney or accountant were? One of them--more likely the lawyer--may have a copy of the will
did your father have siblings? One of them might have been given the will
another person to try, if you know him, is your father's best friend
--then the thing to do is petition the court to appoint an administrator to distribute the estate as per the laws on intestacy who gets what, when there is no will, since a will that no one can find may as well not exist. Once this process starts, if a valid will is produced, the process can be switched over to that for probating a will--of if the will appears irregular, it can be  challenged in court. 
Best would be to hire an attorney who does probate work to get this rolling for you. If you cannot afford one or choose to no hire one, contact the surrogate or probate court for instructions of what to do when there may have been a will, but no one can locate it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption