What to do about my late father’s estate?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about my late father’s estate?

My father passed last year. He has not been buried yet. My step-mother 80+ and half brother and sister (both mentally retarded) live in my dads home. Do I have any rights as his oldest son? Is it possible to put the home owned by my deceased father and deceased mother into my name to protect my step-mom, brother and sister? Is there a way I can have my father buried? I am not close with my step-mom and am not sure of her frame of mind.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it stands.  I would strongly suggest that you seek help from ana ttorney in your area as soon as you can here.  Much more information is needed to determine what you can do.  The first  step would be to be appointed as the personal representative of your Father's estate and to effectuate burial.   As for the house,  more info is needed.  If it passed to your Dad at the time of your mother's death then it is part of his estate for distribution.  And that estate is to be divided between all his children and his wife.  Please get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption