What can we do to finish up this settlement of my father’s estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do to finish up this settlement of my father’s estate?

He passed away 10 months ago; his will was read a month later in his lawyer’s office. We paid the lawyer his fees and he said he would file the will at the court house for probate. It has not been filed yet. My brother has contacted the lawyer numerous times and always gets an excuse and promise that it will be done immediately.

Asked on October 1, 2013 under Estate Planning, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your father.

As for the attorney not filing the Will with the Probate Court despite having been paid several months ago, it would be advisable to contact the State Bar and file a complaint.  A call from the State Bar should prompt this attorney to proceed with the case by filing the Will with the Probate Court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption