If my father passed away, as an only child doI inherit anything?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father passed away, as an only child doI inherit anything?

They had no children; my stepmother kept everything.

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Estate Planning, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Did your father have a Will? If so, its terms will control. The fact is that a parent may disinherit a child. However, in CA, a child of a deceased parent is entitled to a share of the estate if the child can prove that the failure of the dead parent to name the child as a beneficiary in the Will was due to the parent's mistaken belief that the child was dead when the Will was signed. In addition, children who came into the deceased person's family after the execution of a Will are also entitled to receive shares of the estate. The exception to all of this would if the terms of a Will state the intent of the deceased that the child not take anything from the estate. This applies to trusts as well. If you don’t know if there was a Will, check with the probate court in the county in which your father was domiciled as of the state of his death, it would have been recorded there is would now be a matter of public record.

However, if your father died "intestate: (ie without a Will), then things are different. CA intestacy law will control. Accordingly, if the decedent was married, the first question is whether the decedent owned community property, separate property, or a combination of the two. Community property is generally defined as the assets acquired during marriage from earnings or salary. Separate property is generally defined as assets brought into the marriage when the decedent got married, inheritances to the decedent, or gifts to the decedent. In a case such as yours, the decedent's community property goes to the surviving spouse and the decedent's separate property is distributed: ½ to the surviving spouse; ½ to the decedent’s child.

Bottom line, if your father had a Will its terms will generally control, if not, under CA’s intestacy law you are entitled to ½ of your father’s separate property. Since this is a highly complex area of the law, you should consult more fully with a probate attorney as to your rights/options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption