If my father passed away and with 4 timeshares and I don’t put the timeshares through probate, can they come after me for fees and taxes?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father passed away and with 4 timeshares and I don’t put the timeshares through probate, can they come after me for fees and taxes?

He did not have a Will and recently went through a divorce and had no other real property. I have all deed transfers from his ex-wife but I would rather they were not transferred to me because, as I understand it, they are very hard to liquidate. Can I just let the properties be foreclosed on?

Asked on November 28, 2017 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to do more than just not probate them, but you can disclaim the inheritance to make it clear that you are NOT responsible for them: no one can be made to inherit something against his/her will. If you disclaim, or refuse to inherit, the property, then the most that can happen is that any creditors, etc. of the properties can sue your father's  "estate"--the money and property he left behind, if any--and try to get payment from what he left behind--but they can't get anything from you personally. The most that might happen therefore is that any cash or valuables he left behind may be taken by creditors, but only if they do pursue the claim; your own personal assets, income, etc. will be safe.
Contact the clerk of the probate court for instructions on disclaiming an inheritance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption