If my father passed away and I am the next of kin, how do I prove this to the banks and other places?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father passed away and I am the next of kin, how do I prove this to the banks and other places?

What documentation will I need?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Generally speaking, when a person passes way their assets - like the bank account - become part of their "estate" and the only way in which the beneficiaries can obtain possession is for the estate to be probated.  That means that some one has to fill out and submit a petition to be appointed as the Personal Representative of the estate.  If your Dad died with out a Will that is called "intestate" and the intestacy laws in California would govern how the estate is distributed.  You can not just show up with other documentation to prove lineage like your birth certificate.  That is not enough.  You need to be appointed and Letters of Administration or Letters Testamentary (if there is a Will) need to be shown to be able to gather assets for distribution.  If the estate is small (under $150,000 in California) then a Small Estate affidavit is what you can use.  Get some help even if just on a consultation basis.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption