How can I find out about my father’s Will?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out about my father’s Will?

My father passed 2 years ago. He left a Will but I have not seen it. My brother is the executor and we have not spoken since the day my father died. Since there is no lawyer involved, is there any way I can find out what the Will states? I do know that my father left me something of sentimental value to me but I’m afraid to insist on getting it because I’m certain my brother will damage it if he is forced to give it to me.

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Maine


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your brother was required by law to send you a copy when he offered the will to probate. The fact that he did not suggests that he either did not file for probate at all or, when he did file, he elected, for some reason, not to notify you.

Your choice is either to write and demand that he directly send you a copy or file an order to show clause seeking his removal for failing to administer the estate properly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption