What is our step-mother entitled to in the event ofour father’s death?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is our step-mother entitled to in the event ofour father’s death?

My father lives in Florida and is going to re-marry. He has a trust that leaves his money and estate to my sister and I. Is his new wife entitled to anything when he dies. We do not trust her and feel she is looking to cash in.

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a NY lawyer.  Based on your question, it sounds as if you are seeking advice from a Floirda lawyer.   In general, a spouse can't be cut out completely.   Thus, since from your post it appears that he has not yet re-married, there are things he should and could do to protect his assets.  He could create irrevocable (not revocable) trusts and fund them with the assets he intends on giving you.  He could gift to you or create a prenuptual.  He should consult a lawyer to review his options, if it something he is interested in doing and is competent to do.



e-mail: sieglaw@optonline.net

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption