My father is getting divorced, he kept the house, and my wife and I plus 1 child moved in and rented out our residence

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My father is getting divorced, he kept the house, and my wife and I plus 1 child moved in and rented out our residence

Since this has occured, my dads wife and lawyer decided to subpouena us to court because they want to know what we are paying. They mentioned potentially subpoena our finances…Is this fair or even legal? Can someone just decide to do a financial review on someone like that?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's entirely possible that you will have to respond to this.  You should probably talk to a lawyer of your own, to represent your interests and you wife's, and one place to look for an attorney is our website,

I'm not a Pennsylvania lawyer, and I don't know all the facts of your case.  But it's entirely possible that your father's wife's lawyer is going to try to prove either that your dad is getting an economic benefit, from having your family live there with thim, or that your family is getting a benefit from your father.  Either way, they will argue, it justfies more money for the wife, of course.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption