If my father had a living Will do I need a lawyer to settle the estate?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father had a living Will do I need a lawyer to settle the estate?

I have already filed one life insurance policy and got back the checks. The person that set up trust says that it will cost $3,500 to finish. Not sure this is a fair amount. Dad had everything spelled out in trust. – house contents, bank accounts, etc.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, New York


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, it is not required to have a lawyer to settle a trust.  However, depending on the assets involved and the situation, it may be advisable.  What does the $3,500 cover?  Is anyone challenging the trust? 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption