What to do if my father died intestate leaving no assets except a car with a lien?

UPDATED: May 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father died intestate leaving no assets except a car with a lien?

I filed and received a release of administration, however I have been unable to sell the car and have been advised I may not have a right to do so. Can I legally sell the car? I cannot continue to make payments on it and don’t know what to do. If I relinquish it then the estate would be insolvent. Will this come back on me personally? What is the best thing to do?

Asked on May 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I would start by contacting the Department of Motor Vehicles that issued the car's title. Each state has its own procedures for transferring title to vehicles. You will need to find out and comply with your state's rules. If you were named as adminstrator, you should have the authority to sell the car for the estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption