How to check on the terms of a trust?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to check on the terms of a trust?

My father’s spouse was appointed personal representative of his trust. I have 2 siblings. We have been told by the PR that everything has been left to her until she dies and then my father’s estate goes to me and my brothers. However, we have no idea what is in the trust and whether or not we have any right to obtain any part of the trust now while we are still relatively young instead of waiting until the PR dies. Also, is there a way to find out what is in the trust without the PR knowing that we have inquired about it. We are all on good terms with the PR.

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So you and your siblings are the "remaindermen" of the trust, meaning that what ever remains in the trust when you step-mother passes away is your to divide.  Or maybe you really do not know what you are entitled to, correct?  Yes, you generally have a right to see the trust document as a beneficiary of the trust.  But a trust document is not a public record like a Will once it is filed, where anyone can look at it with out any one else knowing.  The trust document is in the hands of the trustee and she will have to give you a copy. If you are on good terms please ask. Once you see the terms you will know what you can and can not have now.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption